Hicks is Running to Build a Healthier, Safer, and More Prosperous Future for Jacksonville
JACKSONVILLE, FL – Today, North Florida native and Jacksonville resident Joshua Hicks announced his bid for the Jacksonville City Council, District 3, an open seat that is currently held by term-limited Councilmember Aaron Bowman. Joshua is a non-profit professional who has spent his career advocating for affordable healthcare access, environmental protections, climate change solutions, and representation for young people.
Joshua works for the Colorectal Cancer Alliance, a 501(c)3 organization that supports survivors, patients, and families facing colorectal cancer. The organization also raises money for critical research to find a cure. Previously, he has worked for the People for the American Way Foundation, the Service Employees International Union, and the League of Conservation Voters. In 2020, Joshua ran for the Florida House of Representatives, District 11 and received endorsements from former President Barack Obama and Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Nikki Fried.
Joshua Hicks issued the following statement upon his entry into the race:
“The era of broken promises is over. Now is the time for honest and responsive leadership on the Jacksonville City Council – leadership that will work for our entire community and not just a select few. I’m running to be a fresh voice who unites our community around the mutual goal of a safer, healthier, and more prosperous future where every person can thrive.
“Through my lived experiences, I know the power of people coming together to do what’s right, uniting communities around a common purpose, and working together to achieve that shared vision. I believe in our city, our future, and that we can work together to move Jacksonville forward.”
Joshua will undergo a listening tour over the coming months to identify the crucial issues facing our city, including these priorities:
- Attracting companies and supporting small businesses that hire a diverse workforce and provide their employees good-paying jobs.
- Addressing ongoing infrastructure failures throughout Jacksonville and making smart investments that benefit everyone.
- Developing a plan for a thriving downtown that brings together businesses and residents from across the city.
- Addressing disparities so that every resident has a good quality of life and can support their family, no matter who they are, what they look like, or where they live.
- Devoting ourselves to tackling climate change for our city by the river, including coastal erosion and flooding, while protecting our pristine natural resources.
For more information on Joshua Hicks and his campaign for the Jacksonville City Council, District 3, please go to: www.votejoshuahicks.com.
High-resolution headshots are available here.